Thursday, 18 April 2013

Looking back to your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the final product?

When looking back at the task I feel one of the most important things I have learnt involves teamwork, because this was identified as a problem when creating our continuity sequence - the cinematographer didn't capture the shots or angles me and the other group members were expecting. This showed me how working in a team throughout the production process right through to the completed product is a key factor because it becomes quite difficult and time consuming going over sections which should have been completed.
This issue also became a problem in our title sequence as we discovered it was quite difficult to involve everyone idea's because this leads to confusion and eventually consequences with an unsuccessful outcome. When this situation was raised we didn't sort it out, therefore it continued to form many more mistakes and errors. When filming the second attempt at the title sequence we quickly highlighted any problems we may have and worked as a team to produce new idea's that everyone felt positive about. I feel this is an aspect I will take on to other tasks in order to avoid this situation again.

I also learnt how important having a target audience is because this was our basic idea in which we began to work around; a target audience also means we were able to relate to similar films to ours such as Johnny English and Get Smart. 
Before the process we were able to highlight the iconography, mis-en-scene, cinematography used in similar films which proved to be very helpful to identify props and locations we would need to use to convey our genre. Even though a target audience wasn't essential when creating our continuity sequence, planning before hand was. We did this through story boards where we was able to record which angles and shots we would use. I feel planning is very important because it means everyone knows what it happening and when; this also ensures all props and locations will be used.

Another aspect I have learnt include the codes and conventions of genre, in specific action and comedy. I found this research and knowledge to be very useful when creating our title sequence because we were able to plan a narrative and our shots following some conventions of action which include close ups and long shots. This was also important in our continuity sequence; however we did not have to follow a specific genre but fulfil a set task.

When it came to the editing of the continuity sequence I found it very difficult to make each shot lead smoothly into the next, this was due to the fact we had only took each shot once and didn't give enough time at the beginning or end to cut any off on final cut pro. This meant my outcome was very jumpy and unsophisticated. This made me realise in our title sequence we would capture each shot several times, so when it came to the editing process we would have a good range to work with if any involved errors we could easily use another.

Watching the continuity sequence over made me realise how much good actors are needed to create a successful outcome because I personally feel some of the acting removed the sense of realism. This also became an issue in our first title sequence as the acting didn't feel convincing enough and so in the second attempt we used someone which could present good facial expressions and actions to form a positive outcome with the feeling of surrealism as this would make the audience feel more involved and believe the narrative.

Overall I feel the continuity sequence opened my eyes to how much work is actually involved in an outcome which include planning, production, editing etc. I feel this knowledge helped me understand what was needed when creating the title sequence.


No comments:

Post a Comment